Meiomi Chardonnay with Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops
Makes 20 skewers
Special equipment needed: short skewers, outdoor grill
- 1 pound large scallops (ideally about 20 per pound)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup store-bought pesto
- ½ pound prosciutto, sliced as thinly as possible (get it from the butcher so that you can request paper thin slices, don’t use the pre-sliced packages, they’re too thick)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large lemon
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before starting.
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Or you can use an indoor grill pan over high heat.
- Season scallops all over with salt and pepper. Pat them completely dry with a paper towel or clean dish towel.
- Pour the pesto into a shallow bowl, and roll the edges of each scallop through the pesto. Cut each slice of prosciutto in half lengthwise (this will not be perfect – it’s ok if they tear, just patch them back together as you go), and wrap the prosciutto around the edges of the scallop. Use a skewer to secure the prosciutto.
- Repeat with all scallops.
- Clean the grill grates and oil them really well. Grill scallops for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until they release easily.
- Arrange on a platter with lemon wedges, and squeeze lemon juice over top. Serve with a bowl of pesto for dipping, if desired, and Meiomi Chardonnay.