Meiomi Reds with Burst Tomato Pasta
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a knife
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound bucatini pasta (spaghetti or linguini also works!)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: minced fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, toss the onion, tomatoes, garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes together until coated. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes have burst and the onions have softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the bucatini until al dente per pasta box instructions in heavily salted water. Before draining the pasta, save 1 cup pasta cooking water. Do not rinse the pasta!
- Transfer the cooked tomatoes and onions to a blender. Add ½ cup pasta cooking water, Parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooked bucatini and the blended pasta sauce in the pasta cooking pot. Cook over low heat for a few minutes, until everything is combined and the sauce is sticking nicely to the pasta! Stir in more pasta water if needed to loosen the sauce.
- Garnish with more parmesan and minced parsley and enjoy. Pairs nicely with any of Meiomi’s red wines: Pinot Noir, Red Blend, or Cabernet Sauvignon.